Literacy in Egypt

Literacy Highlights in 2011

Dear Readers,

2011 has certainly been an exciting year as we worked to advance literacy both here in the United States and around the world! As we count down the days to the New Year, we would like to highlight some of our favorite stories about how literacy has empowered adult learners and their families. Please join us every day over the next 15 days as we share a new story celebrating the power of literacy in transforming lives and communities during 2011!


The following story comes from one of our partners in Egypt, Coptic Organization for Services and Training (COST).

"My name is Teresa Abdo Amin. After investing in basic education, I found no job waiting for me at Al Azhary village. I was told there aren’t enough jobs for men, much less a woman! COST offered a first aid course that was very good; the participants were friendly and welcomed me. We had many lessons. We began using ProLiteracy’s manual, "Good Health Begins at Home." I was one of 14 people who participated in this course. I passed all of my examinations and received a certification. Today, I can help people in my village by offering first aid. I’m trained to treat burns, minor injuries, bites, and vomiting, and to offer maternal health advice. Being able to help makes me feel fulfilled and satisfied. I’m doing good for my own society."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONFINTEA VI - Blogging from Belem, Brazil

Increased Attention to Adult Literacy : U.S. Government and UN Join Forces

ProLiteracy Celebrates International Women’s Day!